Monday, May 11, 2009

Hey! Look! There's Dad!

I go the speed limit. It's an accomplishment, really. I had to work pretty hard at it. But now it's been about 4 months and I'm used to it, except on that section of I-70 that goes from 55 mph to 50...that's tough. But, you know what? Driving is so much more relaxing now. I can see a cop and not immediately cringe and worry. I drive with a sort of confidence...even around cops.

Maybe that's how it is with God. I do things I know I shouldn't do, but tell myself one of a few lines.

A) It's not a big deal. Think of all the other things I could be doing. This is so tiny. Don't get too legalistic.

B) If I don't do this, I'm going to mess other people up. It might not even be safe for me to not do this.

C) If I don't do this, my day/week/life is going to be messed up.

D) It's fun.

So I do things that I know I shouldn't. And things are normally fine. I know where I can push the limits, where I can normally avoid any repercussions. BUT. Then God pops his head in where He's not expected. And I get defensive and up tight, even if I don't get caught. I know that God is Good, but I worry. It may just be something little. But then I see the equivalent of the spotlight or really long antennas and I think "Oh no".

I trust the Lord and want a deep, satisfying relationship with Him. But like in a marriage, if something causes worry about getting caught, it's probably not the best course of action. I want a relationship with the Lord that's deeper than a marriage. So, how can I allow behaviors to get in the way, just because I know how to avoid getting caught?

When I drive by, I want to wave like a little kid at the Cop who happens to be my Dad.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This is an amazing post. And it goes straight to my heart. Thanks so much for writing this! It's great! But next time can you write something that's not so close to home for me? I mean, I don't really like getting convicted by these posts of yours. Ouch! ;)

    ReplyDelete