Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Family

I have had this emotion lately.
I've begun to feel like I fit in.
I know.
It's not really an emotion. But...it kind of is.
I feel like I'm beginning to have a place.
Not a place as an American or a woman or a teacher or an English speaker,
but as Emily Taylor.
It's nice. I like it.

Last week was my birthday,
I talked to the fam.
The day was filled with birthday congratulations and hugs.
Jeff and Lindsay took me to Recife at night.
Then I returned home to phone messages and emails.
It was a good birthday.
Not because I got things.
Not because everyone was singing.
But because I had family.
Here, there, wherever. I had people that I fit with. People who I knew cared about me. People who I could trust.
I fit in.
It was nice.

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful, Emily. I'm so happy for you! I love you, Dad

    ReplyDelete