Monday, March 29, 2010

My View

So, I have a beautiful view from my balcony.



Seriously, now. Breakfast to this? I'll take it.


Let me change that first sentence. I had a beautiful view from my balcony.


A hotel is in the midst of being built on the property behind the Alcance.
This doesn't mean there will be a comfortable place to stay. It means there will be yet another place for men and their mistresses to meet. This will be a place where cars pull into the hotel, completely hiding the car, so as not to be identified. Most likely, it will have a name like "Blue Love Hotel" , "Aphrodites Hotel", "Good Time Hotel" or something equally classy.


Ever since I got here, in January, I have been watching the building process and every time I have breakfast on my balcony I pray that the Lord would change the hearts of the people constructing it, that Brazil would turn from this industry, and if it is constructed, that the children of the school will be protected physically and spiritually.

That was until this morning.


This morning I woke up and went out to my balcony to have breakfast and saw THIS:


A second story.

SERIOUSLY NOW!?

Not only are they building a shady motel behind my apartment, but now they are obstructing my view!

Dude. I was not happy. My food couldn't be swallowed. How many stories up are they going to go?! Errgh. My breakfasts are forever ruined.

And then I realized how I was acting. I am way more angry about this stupid hotel now that my view is obstructed...my view. A beautiful view, yes....but still. A view.

My prayers before were requests. My prayers today were demands.

What the heck? If I thought it was wrong before, why were my prayers casual? It's not any more wrong now, but it's in my way...so, now my prayers are persistant. If I really loved the people constructing it, Brazil, and my students...wouldn't my prayers be more insistant just at the idea?

And how often do I actually pray like this?
Why do we pray casually until our personal view is obstructed?

No comments:

Post a Comment