Tuesday, February 15, 2011

First Grade

May I take a moment to discuss 1st grade students?
I don't think I've ever had a cuter class.
Full of energy.
Inquisitive.
They take chances.
They make mistakes.
They get messy.
They find fun in anything.
But, sitting in a desk isn't so much fun, really.
Understanding the lack of effectiveness in repeating yourself eight times in Portuguese, is still a difficult concept.
Mastering the importance of sharing, is still slightly iffy.
Listening to someone explain things in another language, just doesn't flow with their personal goals.
Pretty much, my 1st graders are kinda killing me.
I'm pretty stubborn.  
They will be able to write in their notebooks properly, 
listen to directions,
and not interrupt during story time by the time we have parent-teacher conferences.
Of course, there are other, more academic goals.
But if we could just get those three goals down,
the academic ones would be much easier.
What it comes down to is that Lindsay should be teaching these classes.
She's good with crianças that can't sit still.
She has fun with little ones who can barely get anything done.
Cause she sees the goals in the games.
I get that.
But it's not me.
I like to accomplish things.
I like to check things off my little list.
Second, third, eighth grades....I can accomplish each little part of my lesson.
First grade just doesn't really check very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment